Looking back at 2017

My initial reaction to reaching the end of 2017 is that I'm glad it's finished and hopefully 2018 will be better. I think that this is mostly due to events out of my control though (e.g. US politics and Brexit) and worrying about those will not solve anything. With that in mind, one of my new year's resolutions is to try and be more positive. So I am going to look back at 2017 and concentrate on highlights rather than negative points.

January

I caught up with some friends from university (a couple of whom I hadn't seen in several years) and had a good time. We went to the Four Quarters in London which has lots of old arcade games - it was awesome!

I also took Nicky to see the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra play the music of John Williams which was brilliant.

February

This was a quiet month (apart from Rory and Kitty turning 4 and 6 respectively). I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 which has been fun to tinker with.

March

Another quiet month. Looking back, I see I was injured (again) and I had a night out with Anna to see Logan (with bonus Nandos).

April

I took Nicky to see Southend play for his birthday, and we also went to the Star Wars Exhibition at the O2 which was cool. We went on holiday to Clacton to check if the caravan was roadworthy (I think it mostly was!)

Then there was the small matter of Nicky winning the Match Attax competition to be a mascot for the Champions League quarter-final between Leicester City and Atletico Madrid. I'm still somewhat unsure whether it actually happened or not but the pictures and videos seem to show that it did! Leicester drew and didn't qualify but we had an amazing evening.

I also took Anna to see Sara Pascoe as a belated Christmas present. Quite a busy month!

May

Another quiet month. Looking back, this was not a good month for me from a mental health perspective.

June

Glastonbury! The weather was perfect (apart from the scorching hot Wednesday) and it was our best festival for years, especially one where we've been parents. Foo Fighters were the undoubted highlights. I also started to grow my beard.

July

We went to see the Red Bull Soapbox Race at Alexandra Palace which was very enjoyable - we'll definitely be back next time it's in the UK. Nicky and I also took part in the RideLondon FreeCycle, we did more laps than before and had fun on the closed roads.

August

Our holiday in the Isle of Wight was a little wet but we had fun nonetheless. We visited Robin Hill for the first time and had several goes on the toboggan run!

I also attended Brushfest with some friends. Standing in a field with friends, alcohol and music is great!

September

A pretty quiet month, especially with Rory starting school - the absence of noise was strange. We went up to Clacton again, the caravan is starting to fall apart but Rory won the joke-telling contest!

October

We saw the Manics at the Roundhouse who were as great as ever. I also went to the Six Day London with Nicky for some great track cycling.

November

I started doing circuit training two or three times a week. It ached like hell to begin with but now I actually feel slightly fitter (in the sense that it takes longer to start hurting during exercise!) I haven't lost any weight but I think it's muscle rather than fat.

We also had a long-awaited band session which was pretty successful and enjoyable.

December

Mostly quiet up until Christmas. Didn't get much of a rest over the festive period but was nice not to have to worry about work!


Looking back, 2017 had some reasonable highlights - here's to a great 2018!

Keane Ingram

A father of three and husband of one. I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active (especially cycling, running and capoeira) and playing video games. I also enjoy reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment