Making progress

I've now been living on my own for around 5 months and apart from a few wobbles I'm doing reasonably well. Not living surrounded by other people's clutter is great - being able to tidy up as I go along makes me feel much calmer.

There's been the odd bit of stress here and there - Anna caught Covid a couple of weeks ago so I had the kids for 10 days whilst she self-isolated, it was a bit stressful making sure they had all their school stuff in the right place and that I had enough food, etc. but it was nice spending time with them.

Kitty passed her 11+ so hopefully should get a place in her chosen school. In the end she got a better score than Nicky did, something she is very happy to remind him of! She hasn't had the easiest year so it was a big relief and I'm very proud of her.

I've been keeping reasonably active. For a friend's 40th birthday we walked all 23 miles of the Roach Valley Way in July (with a few pub stops en route!) I could barely walk afterwards but it was a brilliant day out. I also did the London-Southend bike ride in September which was just over 50 miles, my cycling fitness needs some work but I didn't have any problems completing the distance (or with the hills - I'm sure there wasn't so much climbing last time I did it!)

Just this weekend Kitty, Nicky and I received our new capoeira cords as part of our academy's batizado. I've moved up three levels and now have a full orange cord, Nicky is still one level ahead of me though. It was an exhausting weekend but I really enjoyed and whilst I'm still not especially comfortable talking to people I definitely didn't feel as anxious as I normally would surrounded by new people.

I've been to see the Manics twice recently - once in Cardiff (which had been rescheduled from December 2020) and once in Kingston where Nicky Wire did a short interview and then James did a short acoustic set. The first gig was very cathartic, my first Manics gig in nearly two decades without Anna (she was supposed to come but couldn't make it due to childcare issues - despite the separation we are still getting on) and it was almost a sign of things getting back to normal. The acoustic gig was brilliant - he played a couple of new songs but also played some rarities - it's the first time I've seen Donkeys, and Prologue to History is always brilliant.

Keane Ingram

A father of three and husband of one. I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active (especially cycling, running and capoeira) and playing video games. I also enjoy reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment