One year on

Real life has been getting in the way of writing here. So much has happened yet I've forgotten most of it.

I've been living on my own for over a year now and things are generally going well. The flat mostly looks like how I want it to, and it feels like home. The kids are happy coming here, and being able to split them and give them a break from each other is beneficial for them too. I'm still not fully healed. I'm getting there, my self-esteem and confidence are better than they've ever been, but I still have wobbles. At least now I can identify the wobbles and look after myself.

The kids are doing well. Nicky has just finished year 8 and has made his preliminary GCSE choices which makes me feel very old! Kitty has finished junior school and will start at her preferred school in September, she already made friends on the induction day and is looking forward to it. Rory has just finished year 4 and is also doing really well. He'll start getting ready for the 11+ soon, we're looking for the hat-trick 😁

I'm still keeping reasonably active. I took part in the inaugural RideLondon-Essex 100 and was very happy with my time considering the lack of training - it took me just over 6 hours, with an enforced 30 minute stop whilst we waited for an ambulance ahead. I raised £461 for Samaritans. I'm still doing capoeira and going to the gym. Last weekend I did the Roach Valley Walk again and my legs still haven't forgiven me!


We went to Glastonbury which was a bit weird, obviously being the first one post-Covid and with myself and Anna being separated. I had been very anxious about it but in the end it was mostly good, and it gave me a sense of closure. It was my 13th Glastonbury and quite possibly my last, I'm certainly going to give it a break for a few years. It was terribly crowded this year - the toilet queues are never usually that bad, and there were a couple of crushes where I was genuinely worried about the kids. La Grande Bouffe not being there was also a big disappointment. I saw some great bands however. Paul McCartney was brilliant - it was everything that 2004 was not, with the added bonus of Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen! Other highlights were Foals, Pet Shop Boys, Crowded House, Idles, Noel Gallagher and Diana Ross.

I've been learning to play Brazilian drums for almost a year now, I've got the hang of the basics. We've performed a few times at various festivals and we also accompanied the Queen's Baton Relay when it visited the high street. I'm also playing the bass more, now that I have my own space I can have my instruments out and ready to play. I'm currently learning to play Sweet Child o' Mine, everyone obviously knows the lead guitar part but I quite like the bass part.

This year seems to have gone so quickly, it's already the summer holidays. I'm taking the kids camping next week which I'm looking forward to, and we have a few day trips planned as well.

Keane Ingram

A father of three and husband of one. I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active (especially cycling, running and capoeira) and playing video games. I also enjoy reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment