Bikeathon

Today was the day for the Bikeathon. I was surprisingly nervous before setting off, I don't really know why. It was a bit busier than I'd expected, I think there were at least 500 riders (I saw race numbers in the 500s anyway). It all started at 9.30 with small groups going at a time to prevent congestion.

I knew it wasn't a race but I still wanted to do it as quickly as I could, and after a few miles I found myself on my own having overtaken most people. I did catch up to an earlier group eventually, and cycled and chatted with one rider for a while. He was only doing one lap though as he had to get home, so I did the second lap mostly on my own. I know at least one person was ahead of me because they were skipping the checkpoints but I wasn't. The second lap mostly involved overtaking slower riders - I know I have a huge advantage with a road bike vs a mountain bike but it's still fun overtaking people! I finished my two laps in approximately 1 hour 40 - the ladies who gave me my medal said I was thinking first to come through having done two laps - I don't know if that's true but I know I was amongst the first to finish which is good!

I enjoyed the day, and including cycling there and back I did 37 miles which is a new record for me. I felt like I could have done it again when I got back but my legs are aching now! Oh well, I have a week to recover as we're off on holiday tomorrow.

Update: I thought I'd put a link to my JustGiving page here in case any generous randoms are reading - I've raised £73 so far.

Keane Ingram

A father of three and husband of one. I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active (especially cycling, running and capoeira) and playing video games. I also enjoy reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment