Wiggle Essex Explorer

Last Sunday I did the Wiggle Essex Explorer sportive. Supposedly a 96 mile route, it ended up being around 99 due to some slight diversions, so I cycled slightly further at the end just to make it up to a round 100 and my first century!

It was my first time riding in a group, and the first couple of hours were relatively easy as there was a lot of drafting to be done, so I didn't use up too much energy. However, after the first feed station stop I got a bit isolated, and found myself struggling a little after 4 hours on the bike - however, after the third feed station (at around 5 hours 15) I seemed to perk up a bit and was able to get to the finish in 6 hours 21 minutes - just under the silver standard of 6 hours 25 minutes :-) There's a video of me finishing - I'm the last one through in this clip. Here's a picture of me from about the 90 mile mark.


I'm more confident about finishing the London ride now, although that will obviously be a bit hillier, but presumably will have more people so there will be more drafting, so I might still be able to do it in my target time of 6 hours. I will have to sort out a charity to raise money for very soon!

Not long to go until Glastonbury now. We've booked a short break in a couple of weeks just to test the caravan with 3 kids and make sure everything is sorted - it's been for a service and everything is OK, and towing with my new car was much easier than with my old car!


Keane Ingram

A father of three and husband of one. I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active (especially cycling, running and capoeira) and playing video games. I also enjoy reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment